Tuesday, September 05, 2006

the month of remembrance

Please forgive me for this post – it is not my wish to bring anyone down, it’s just that I want to continue my blogging hobby and I don’t want to do so while pretending nothing has happened over the past week.

I suppose it would be wise to inform those who may not know that my grandparents brought me up as their son.


The month of August, particularly the end of it, will always be one of remembrance for my family.


August 20th, 1936



My grandparents are married in Nashua, New Hampshire.

August 21st, 1913

My grandfather is born.

August 22nd, 2004

I propose to Sandra.

August 24th, 1977

My grandparents and I say our last farewells to most of our friends as we make final preparations to emigrate from the Bay Area of California all the way to Ireland.

August 26th, 2006



On the happiest day of my life, Sandra and I are married in front of friends and most of my family.

August 27th, 2004

My grandfather passes away peacefully in his sleep at the age of 91.

August 28th, 2002



My grandmother writes the above note and leaves it by her bedside. Please note the impeccable penmanship for (at the time) a 93-year old lady.

August 29th, 1992

I married my first wife.

August 30th, 2006

That same first wife, the only other person* I had in Ireland to be a contact person for my grandmother’s nursing home, has the unenviable task of calling me while on my honeymoon in New York to tell me she had deteriorated much over the previous 24 hours, and that we should change our flights if I wanted to be with her at the end.

August 31st, 2006

My grandmother passed away quiety and painlessly at the grand age of 97. We successfully changed our flights, but touched down 45 minutes before she was gone, so we did not quite make it to her bedside. At the very least, she was not unattended.




The funeral was yesterday. As much as my grandparents both loved me and were proud to carry out the challenge of bringing me up, because of the generation gap, it could be said that they never properly understood me, and of course vice versa. For me, the silver lining of recent events is that I know now they both understand me perfectly, and will watch over me and my family for the rest of our own days on this earth.

May they both rest in peace.


* = I must note that Sandra’s immediate family would have been more than willing to be available for my grandmother, but we felt it best to ask MyX because hers was a face that would be recognized more readily, plus she is mother to her two great-grandchildren.

12 comments:

Nolene said...

Im very sorry to read of your Grans passing Jeff. She will continue to live on in your heart without doubt. Regards, Nolene.

Dol said...

So sorry to hear it Jeff. Our thoughts are very much with you.

Dol said...

PS. Sandra looks beautiful in the photo.

James Howard Shott said...

I lost my mother in 1971, when I was 26 years old. Shortly after my mother passed, I married my first wife. That marriage lasted five years.

My father died in 1985. He saw his first grandchild, who was born in 1973, but his first grandson, born of my second wife, came nearly four months after he passed. He knew Ryan was on the way, but didn't get to see him.

I understand your loss, and I hope you will accept my sincere expression of sympathy, and empathy.

Anna said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anna said...

My thoughts are with you. Warm regards.

Claire said...

I'm very sorry JL, what a bittersweet month for you.

The Swearing Lady said...

I'll be thinking about you, JLP...

Michèle said...

So sorry . . .

Alan said...

Condolences. But she had a good long life and she was loved. Keep remembering the good.

cp said...

sorry to hear of your loss JL - keep your chin up and make them proud

Heidi said...

Oh, JL... I don't know where to begin. I have been MIA from blogging for months, and I am just getting the chance to check on your blog and so much has happened... I am so very sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing, and the timing of it is so unfortunate.

Blessings to you and Sandra and your marriage. I wish you both the best. You both look amazing in the photo.

I will miss this blog. I so enjoyed your humor. I hope to find you again in the blogosphere, JL. You are a gifted writer.