Saturday, August 26, 2006

hold all my calls...

Let's see - how can I involve my blog readers in my wedding, which happens to be today?

Not enough?

OK - how 'bout I let you guys get an exclusive preview of my wedding speech?

Hi everyone –

Most people who know me are well used to my making horrendous puns for cheap laughs, so I thought maybe I’d show a different side of myself and leave the funny stuff to my best man (no pressure, Ian, honest!).

First, thank you all for joining us on what has been so far an amazing day. There’s no better way to enjoy a great occasion than having friends and family around you, and we’re both delighted you could all be with us.

I’d like to give a special thanks to the Unitarian Church for their wonderful ceremony. We have attended several of their services over the past year, and though I’ll admit I’m not the most religious person in the world, I have to say it’s refreshing to see that spirituality and open-mindedness can go hand in hand.

There are of course those who could not be with us today whom I’d like to mention briefly. First there is my poor grandmother who was sadly not well enough to attend. I know she would have given anything to be here and we can be sure her prayers were with us all the way.

Then there is my mother, who was unable to make the trip from San Francisco mostly due to the fact that she has done so much to help us out with Grandma’s care, and we are both immensely grateful for this and wish she could be here today.

Finally there is my grandfather whose 2nd anniversary happens to fall tomorrow. I know for sure he’s having a pint of the black stuff up there on our behalf!

I also have to mention my father Mark and his lovely wife Vickie, who have flown all the way from Oregon to be with us today. Thank you both so much for coming, you have no idea what it means to all of us that you could make it!

Up to now although I’ve lead a happy life, I’ve always tended to do things with this niggling feeling in the back of my mind that whatever I was doing wasn’t really what I wanted to do. However there are TWO main exceptions to this rule.

The first has been my role as father to my two wonderful children, Rebecca and Christopher. I don’t want to embarrass them too much, but I have to say I’m proud as anything to be their Daddy, and have been from day one.

And then there’s this lovely vision on my left.

I hope you all take the opportunity today to tell Sandra how beautiful she looks, for this could very well be the only day she’ll ever let you! She’s a lot like myself - we don’t do compliments well!

Although it was a bit long, I chose the second reading because it focused on Friendship. I’d love to say I picked up the passage from my extensive reading but I have to confess I actually got from an episode of the TV show Friends!

Anyway – as well as all the clear attraction I have always had for Sandra, I have to say I have never met anyone to whom I feel this close, and she has literally made me feel this way from the very start. We have had our ups and downs, but no matter what we always remained friends. For me, that is what makes us work. It has also helped that I have been made feel so welcome by both Rita and John, and I’m immensely proud to see our families come together today.

Just to warn you folks – I’m going to get a bit corny here, but this is something I’ve been dying to say to her, and she’ll know exactly what I mean, and I guess that’s all that counts!

Sandra, thank you so much for everything you have brought to my life and the lives of my family, and I can’t wait to spend my future with you and together I know we really can reach for the stars.

To Sandra [toast]

Thank you all again.



Still not enough?

Too bad.

See you in a couple of weeks.

15 comments:

Steven said...

Congratulations and see you back blogging when you're a married man with scars to prove it. :-)

that girl said...

Congratulations to you both - hope you have a wonderful day and a fabulous honeymoon xx

James Howard Shott said...

Congratulations, Mr. P. I wish you and your new bride every happiness and a great life.

Red Mum said...

I was hoping you would start with

Fornication

Forn an occasion like this...

I did hear a best man do this once and it went down like a lead balloon. The auld Catholic aunties were up in arms.

Congrats on the forthcoming nuptuals have a great day and a wonderful life together :)

Is it just me or is everyone in the Irish blogosphere getting married?

Sinéad said...

Congrats JL, have a great honeymoon.

ainelivia said...

Sounds good to me. Congratulations, and celebrations, all the best to you both, and hopefully see you after the honey moon

Michèle said...

Congratulations! And all the best to you both and the kids!

Paige A Harrison said...

Hope you both had a brilliant day. Now of with yea and have a bit o'pampering and the odd ... well you know the rest!

Curly K said...

Hope you and your bride had a fantastic time. Best wishes and have a fantastic honeymoon

Mike Todd said...

Too cool! Great speech. May your lives be long and your shags not that odd.

parnellpr said...

That was lovely! Have a good time and best wishes for everything. Pippa

Dol said...

Aw, that's such a great speech! Hope you have a fantastic honeymoon!

The Swearing Lady said...

WAAAAAAAA!

*wipes away tears*

Hope you're having a great time, fella and doll. :D

Anna said...

Congratulations and all best wishes for your new life together.
Slainte!

hermione2001ie said...

Congratulations! So glad the day went well - be sure to email me some pics ya bugger!

I was going to text you on the day to wish you luck, but decided against it.
I was thinking of you though!

Hope you're having a great honeymoon. Am looking forward to you coming back and telling me alllll about it!

Well done again!

J x