Wednesday, July 26, 2006

croc of old?


Say what you like about people who work in legal circles – perhaps indeed they are on a gravy train born mostly from our misery, but from what little I’ve seen of the inside of a courtroom, its day-to-day running must surely be a perennial snoozefest.

Given that, just imagine how much enjoyment those in attendance at the Liverpool Crown Court would of gotten out of this case, as described by Ananova’s Quirky files.


Crocodile Gran


An 80-year-old woman re-created a scene from the film Crocodile Dundee to tackle a knife-wielding burglar.

Winifred Whelan, from Liverpool, was threatened in her home by a man brandishing a 10-inch knife.

The pensioner grabbed a larger carving knife from her kitchen before shouting: "That's not a knife, this is a knife!"

Mrs Whelan was quoting the famous line from Crocodile Dundee when the film's star Paul Hogan brandishes a hunting knife at a mugger.

She told a newspaper: "I said to the robber: "You call that a knife?" His was around 10 inches long and I had a carving knife measuring about 14 inches.

"I pointed it at his belly and said: 'This is a knife!'"

Two men were jailed at Liverpool Crown Court in connection with the incident, which happened last September.



Judging from the look on her face, she wouldn’t have hesitated to use the damn thing either. I reckon the two men will be happy to go behind bars to get away from her!

4 comments:

Michèle said...

Ha! Ha! Ha! Crazy thing to do . . . but good for her all the same!

Curly K said...

Now that's a broad with balls!

Ms Ann Thrope said...

Heh heh, good for her, I'd love to be able to kick the shit out of burglars but I'm build like a reed. I must get a knife bigger than the ones in my kitchen and keep it beside my bed.

The courts are anything but boring.

parnellpr said...

Terminator gran! Ha ha. Made me laugh. Came 2 u via arse end of ireland btw. I like your profile description. V funny. Pippa