Monday, July 31, 2006

bitesize bullets



TEN TOPICS…
NO PARTICULAR ORDER…
ONE MAN’S OPINIONS…
FIFTY WORD LIMIT ON EACH…
MOVE OVER SPIELBERG…



WEIGHT : I think I offset what gains I had by my diet by over-indulging in beer over the weekend. The scales still have me at X minus four, which means nothing lost this week. I want to see some results fast so it’s nose to the grindstone from now on.

TUNES: How did I grow up missing the Stone Roses for God’s sake??? I got their greatest hits CD in a sale at the weekend and I couldn’t believe how many of the 15 tracks I recognised but never knew it was them. “Fools Gold” was the only one I knew.

LYRICAL :
“Step down, step down. Watch a heel crush, crush. Uh oh, this means no fear - cavalier. Renegade and steer clear! A tournament, a tournament, a tournament of lies. Offer me solutions, offer me alternatives and I decline.”

Who sang that? Check comments for the answer.

BUSHBASHING: He sent troops into Iraq for weapons that weren’t there, but when Israel and Hezbollah are firing the real thing at each other 24/7 with thousands of innocents needlessly slaughtered, he does nothing. And no, I don’t feel sending Neo-Condi out there to hold selective talks counts as doing something.

KNACKER… : …is my Irish Slang O’ The Week and it can mean either our answer to a hillbilly or our answer to a “homey” or “chav”. A common yet unfortunate term for Dublin’s poorer suburbs is “Knacker-agua”. As a verb, however, to “be knackered” simply means to be very tired.

DEBUT: Don’t say you haven’t been warned…that little movie I published on Sunday won’t be the last production from JLTV studios now I know how to manipulate both Windows Movie Maker and YouTube! The possibilities are endless. Be afraid, VERY afraid folks.

JOKE : Two not-so-clever Eskimos were paddling along the icy river and decided they were even chillier than usual, so they lit a fire aboard their vessel. To their surprise, it sank. The moral of the story is : you can’t have your kayak and heat it too. Sorry.

FLICK: “We accept the reality of the world with which we are presented, it's as simple as that.”
The Truman Show was on network TV last night. Ironically, this was a role that I feel Jim Carrey was born to play, with excellent support from Ed Harris.

STATWATCH : A reader from Chatham in England happened by this blog last week and proved to be my 20,000th hit here since I started the counter in May ’05. Of course, the surfer’s prize is the honour of having where his internet server is located mentioned in my “bitesize bullets” feature.

GOOGLING : Latest phrases to lead people here include …

“s★gsot

“eligibility to play for republic of Ireland”

“how long does it take to get from castlecomer to Dublin”

“solitary occupations”

“stealing undies from washing line”

“do I let him shag me”

I hope they all found what they were looking for.



“Google phrases of the week” and “Statwatch” courtesy of StatCounter.com

“Irish Slang Word O’ The Week” courtesy of “The book of feckin’ Irish Slang that’s great craic for cute hoors and bowsies”

7 comments:

JL Pagano said...

The answer to the lyrical bullet is of course REM with their classic "It's The End Of The World As We Know It" taken from their 1987 album Document.

As for the Google Phrases, how about that first one? It was actually in my list! I tried googling it myself and got nowhere. Maybe it was a glitch in the StatCounter program?

plurabella said...

So how about a BlogTutorial Jl, for those of us less cybergifted ones on how you do the you tubemovies... ah go on

JL Pagano said...

Hi Plurabella, long time no see.

Not sure if you're being ironic or not, but all I'll say is, if you can work out how to use Blogger, you can easily work out YouTube.

I must qualify the fact that I said the film took me ten minutes to DO ... it took me a lot longer than that to work out how to use the programs involved!

Curly K said...

Congratulations on the 20k mark oh esteemed of the bloggerati.

The first phrase in the Google phrases was probably originally entered in a language with a different script such as Japanese or Chinese which is why it's now gobbledygook.


Like the eskimo joke.

plurabella said...

Thanks for welcome JL. Sorry, no being absolutely straight forward. I've taken two years to figure out some of the things on blogger and there's loads I'd like to know how to do but haven't figured out yet.

Did find a blog that gives tutorials on using blogger. It's top of my blogroll. Problem with me is that I worry if I change things, how will I change them back if I need to, and also that I'll make a total utter hash of what I've already managed, and screw everything up.

The Swearing Lady said...

There was this ghost who only appeared once every 100 years at a stately home. A photographer went to the stately home and waited for the legendary ghost to appear. The ghost did, on the stroke of midnight. The photographer said, "Wait! I need you to pose! A photo of you will make my career!" The ghost said, "Fair enough. Snap away." The photographer got his photo and the ghost disappeared.

The next day the photographer developed his photos. They came out blank.

The moral of the story is: The spirit was willing, but the flash was weak.



Nearly as good as your one, eh?

Dolores McCrumble said...

Very PC of you to say that 'knacker' means hillbilly (or the Irish equivalent of) when (in my experience in Co Wex(racist)ford 'knacker' always meant traveller.


:-)