NO PARTICULAR ORDER…
ONE MAN’S OPINIONS…
FIFTY WORD LIMIT ON EACH…
ISN’T THE IRISH SLANG BULLET GAS CRAIC ALTOGETHER?…
• RESTORED : Not having broadband sure wreaks havoc on the sanity of a blog junkie, I can tell you. Luckily I’m now back in action with my new wireless connection, so stay tuned for a resumption to regular postage. Net cafes are just not my bag, baby.
• FOURTH: The most yankee-doodle thing I will do on the 4th of July this year is go for a meal in TGI Fridays to celebrate my son’s upcoming birthday. Funny how “Hamburg”ers and “French” fries are considered American! Best wishes of the day to all (both?) my stateside readers.
• GAS… : …is my Irish Slang O’ The Week and simply means something amusing. “How was the party?” “Ah, yeah, it was gas!” Now in case my American readers think that’s a bit strange, just remember you guys call the stuff you put in your cars “gas” even though it’s a liquid…
• CANCELLED: One of the BBC’s longest running shows, Tops of the Pops, which is similar to American Bandstand, is soon to be taken from the air, finally succumbing to the pressures of the MTV generation. I’m not exactly gutted, but I do have some fond memories of the show.
• LYRICAL :
“Switch off your shield
Switch off and feel
I'm working on loving-yeah
Giving you back the good times
Ship it out-out
I'm working for the black gas”
Who sang that? Check comments for answer
• TUNES: The sleeve cover may be gross, but Pearl Jam’s “Vs.” is hands down my favourite album from the grunge era, with tracks like “Daughter”, Rats” and “Rearviewmirror”. I saw them live here in Dublin about ten years ago, though the Point Depot was a bad choice of venue for them.
• JOKE : How many surrealists does it take to screw in a lightbulb? [check comments for the answer]
• RENTAL: I finally got to see Joaquin Phoenix’ portrayal of Johnny Cash in “Walk The Line” last week. Er – yeah, it was a good flick, but I tell you – if Reese Witherspoon’s performance is considered Oscar material, competent though it may have been, then God help the future of Hollywood.
• ONGOING : The most frustrating aspect of the trouble in the Middle East for me is the way all Israeli military action is considered “legitimate self-defence” by the West but any Palestinian equivalent is labelled “terrorism”. For me, all extremist action is unjustified no matter what way you package it.
• GOOGLING : Latest phrases to lead people here include …
“dr cox’s best rants”
“turn close your eyes setanta”
“how to give a good shag”
“drunken english supporters photos”
“jason mcateer cosmopolitan”
“what does aet mean in world cup”
I hope they all found what they were looking for.
“Google phrases of the week” courtesy of StatCounter.com
“Irish Slang Word O’ The Week” courtesy of “The book of feckin’ Irish Slang that’s great craic for cute hoors and bowsies”