NO PARTICULAR ORDER…
ONE MAN’S OPINIONS…
FIFTY WORD LIMIT ON EACH…
OH, IF ONLY IRELAND WERE AT THE WORLD CUP FINALS…
• UPDATE : Thanks to all who expressed concern over my grandmother from last week. I plan to blog about the whole saga once I have broadband installed in my new abode, which should be in the next week or so.
• RENTAL: I must confess I was pleasantly surprised by Disney’s animation flick Chicken Little which my kids finally persuaded me to rent last week. Although you are expected to identify with yet another batch of talking animals, this one still manages to entertain throughout, though it’s no “The Incredibles” or “Shrek”.
• EEJIT… : …is this week’s Irish slang word and on a basic level is simply the word “idiot” said with an Irish accent. For me, it brings a whole new meaning to the term when used properly, eg “Ah, sure yer man George Bush is an awful eejit, isn’t he?”
• SUPPORT: I have given analysis of the actual goings on at the World Cup, but thanks to the internet this year I have also been amazed by the the breathtaking atmosphere generated by the fans that makes this undoubtedly the world’s greatest sporting spectacle. Even the American support has been impressive.
• LINK : This week’s Link shout-out goes to the right honourable Dolores McCrumble to whom I am forever grateful for plugging my blog in the midst of her emancipation. It all makes me hungry for a “lahge paw-tion” of Chocolate Salty Balls. Yes – that’s a private joke though trust me, it’s harmless.
• TUNES: Sunday’s trip to visit my grandmother was accompanied by the soundtrack to “The Big Chill” which comprises mostly Motown classics like “Heard It Through The Grapevine” and “Ain’t Too Proud To Beg” - tunes you just can’t help singing along to whatever your age.
• PISS-TAKE : My fellow First Thursday reveller Ben E*******, who spent time in New York and follows the Yankees, is usually my go-to-guy for baseball discussion. After my A’s won 3 in a row at Yankee Stadium recently, I sent him a little ditty which you will find in with the comments.
• HAUGHEY: Ireland’s answer to Richard Nixon, former Prime Minister [known here by the Irish word Taoiseach, pronounced “TEA-shock”] Charles J Haughey passed away last week, which lead to the predictable mixture in the media of hyperbolic tributes and damning eulogies.
• LYRICAL :
“When I feel heavy metal
And I’m pins and needles
Well, I lie and I’m easy
All the time but I am never sure
Why I need you
Pleased to meet you”
Who sang that? Check comments for answer.
• GOOGLING : Latest phrases to lead people here include …
“the nitecap dive”
“sex word of the day”
“how to shag yaself”
“german builders pants”
“free movies who will shag anyone for money”
I hope they all found what they were looking for.
“Google phrases of the week” courtesy of StatCounter.com