Monday, June 12, 2006

bitesize bullets



TEN TOPICS…
NO PARTICULAR ORDER…
ONE MAN’S OPINIONS…
FIFTY WORD LIMIT ON EACH…
MY BACK WAS BROKE AFTER WATCHIN THAT STUPID FLICK…



UPDATE : Last week was rough – my 96-year-old grandmother, who hasn’t been sick for years, caught a bad chest infection down in her new apartment and needed to spend a couple of days in hospital. She hopes to have her strength back for my wedding in August.

TUNES : Yet another trusty companion for the straight one hour drive back and forth to my grandmother’s apartment has been the soundtrack for the Blues Brothers. The kids got a kick out of it when they travelled with me yesterday, particularly “Rawhide”.

LYRICAL :
Lie around all day
Have a drink to chase
‘Yourself and tourists, yeah
That's what I hate’
He said ‘We're going wrong
We've all become the same
We dress the same ways
Only our accents change’


Who sang that? Check comments for the answer.

ARTICLE : If you are curious about the World Cup phenomenon and would like it explained in layman’s terms, you could do no better than reading this month’s National Geographic cover feature by among others Sean Wilsey. There is even a trademark NG foldout wallchart to enjoy.

LINK : This week’s link shout-out goes to Catalizadora for adding my Irish blog to her blogroll. Nice to see my stuff is being read by someone originally from as far afield as Argentina.

CONFESSION : I have to admit I find the seventh instalment of the Big Brother enigma to be quite entertaining. Best bit for me is when Pete is in the diary room. Even if he doesn’t win overall like I think he will, he has done bucketloads for awareness of Tourette’s syndrome.

STATWATCH : Not a word of a lie – on my “portfolio blog”, my statcounter was registering exactly 666 hits on June 6, 2006. If you knew how sceptical I was about paranormal coincidences, you would be sure I could never make that up.

RENTAL : I don’t care if it makes me sound homophobic – Brokeback Mountain was a snoozefest from start to finish. I cannot believe the acclaim it received and it makes me wonder about the future of Hollywood. Try the same story with a hetero-sexual couple and noone would have gone near it.

DEADLY… : …is this week’s Irish slang word and when used properly actually means something very good. “Jaysis check out the jugs on yer one they’re fookin DEADLY man!” I presume I don’t need to translate the word “jugs”…

GOOGLING : Latest phrases to lead people here include …

“whatever happened to patrick battiston”

“unbelievable herald schumacher pictures”

“italy 1989 world cup souvenir with national anthems”

“things you can shag”


I hope they all found what they were looking for.


“Statwatch” and “Google phrases of the week” courtesy of StatCounter.com

6 comments:

JL Pagano said...

The lyrics are of course from Stereophonics' summertime classic "Have A Nice Day" from their "Just Enough Education To Perform" album of a few years back.

James Howard Shott said...

Once again there is common ground between us, Mr. P., but first let me say that I hope your grandmother recovers fully and soon. My own paternal grandmother lived to 106--quite an accomplishment.

Also, congratulations on your impending nuptials.

Now, for the common ground: I am a big fan of the Blues Brothers; I have both albums and have seen both movies.

Sometimes you have good taste. :)

James Howard Shott said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Benny K said...

You're absolutely right about Brokeback Mountain. No depth to it whatsoever. What a crock!

Dolores McCrumble said...

Sorry to hear about Gran. Hope she's on the mend x

The Swearing Lady said...

Best of luck to your grandmother. And to you, too, getting hitched!

I presume the invitations in the post.

I could fight with you on the Brokeback Mountain comment, but luckily for you I'm ill today and so haven't the energy. You old pleb, you.