Friday, May 05, 2006

a cure not to be sneezed at

“Pucker up there honey I’ll be right with you…”

And there was I thinking I had tried everything to prevent my annual bout of hay fever. If only I knew sooner about this study brought to light by those reliable folks at Ananova's Quriky files…

A snog can 'cure hayfever'


A new study says a passionate 30-minute kiss can help relieve the misery of hayfever.

Researchers found kissing relaxes the sufferer and reduces production of histamine which triggers hayfever.

A team at Satou Hospital in Japan told 24 men and women with hayfever to spend 30 minutes kissing their partners while listening to soft music.

The experiment was repeated with cuddles but not kisses. Blood samples showed a significant drop in antibodies fighting the allergens after the kissing session but no response at all to cuddling.

The same happened in patients with atopic dermatitis, a skin condition also triggered by allergies.

Research leader Dr Hajime Kimata said:
"These results indicate for the first time that kissing may alleviate allergic responses."


Well, there it is, ladies, cast iron proof. You can be sure I have it printed out to carry around with me in case of a sudden attack in public, depending of course on who is in the viscinity…

Two questions arise [pardon the pun] from this story for me:

1) Is the research leader male or female, and
2) Who would be willing to kiss someone with red eyes and a stuffed up nose?

1 comment:

Mike Todd said...

30 minutes? You'd probably just get over it naturally by then.