Monday, May 15, 2006

bitesize bullets



TEN TOPICS…
NO PARTICULAR ORDER…
ONE MAN’S OPINIONS…
FIFTY WORD LIMIT ON EACH…
APPYPOLLY LOGGY FOR ALL THE CHEPOOKA




EXPERIMENT : I tried out a new type of speed-writing post last Friday, and I think I know how I want to do it from now on. From now on it will be called “Taking the fifth” and where the number was ten before it’s now, well, you work it out!

RENTAL : Last week I finally got to see “A Clockwork Orange”. Besides the various the messages throughout, what struck me was how over-the-top the desire was to shock in the early seventies, be it in décor, art, dress, even language. I find expression these days to be more direct and obvious.

SHITE… : …is this week’s Irish slang word and rhymes with “fight”. Though it is a variation of shit, it is considered to be a softer usage. Common phrases include “Go and shite”, “That tastes like boiled shite”, and “Guinness makes you shite through your elbow”.

BUSHBASHING : How ironic is it that most powerful nation in the world can send a team to a major sporting event, this summer’s World Cup to be precise, yet be the only one unable to display its flag on the team bus for security reasons?

LYRICAL :
“It's silly, no?
When a rocket ship explodes
And everybody still wants to fly
Some say a man ain't happy
Unless a man truly dies
Oh why?”

Who sang that? Check comments for the answer.

OVER? : I know all good things come to an end, and I know even the best TV drama can be ruined by going on too long, but if Sunday night’s series finale was the last ever, it was a sad event for American television, and it will be sorely missed.

AGREEMENT? : Spare a thought for the people of Northern Ireland as once again their politicians try to reach a consensus on how to govern the region eight years after the people implored them to. The trouble is, it’s the Extremist parties that are heading the negotiations. I won’t hold my breath.

TUNES : I guess I’m back to the one-album wonders in my car stereo this week – with the entertaining gospel inspired rock tracks that make up the Hothouse Flowers’ debut album “People” from 1988. Maybe their association with the Eurovision Song Contest was to be their undoing.

LINK : This week’s shout-out goes to The Swearing Lady for linking me twice on her entertaining new blog “Arse End Of Ireland”. Maybe my American readers will need some more Irish slang translation before they appreciate it, though…

GOOGLING : Latest phrases to lead people here include …

“the day and time roy keane left the irish squad in saipan”

“washing line panties”

“three legged footballer”

“brazil sex show”

I hope they all found what they were looking for.
I really, honestly, truly don't make these up.

Google phrases of the week appear courtesy of StatCounter.com

4 comments:

JL Pagano said...

Hmmm - it's an easy one this week, isn't it?

Of course it's Prince with the title track from his album "Sign O' The Times".

Starting next week, no more Mr Nice Guy...

James Howard Shott said...

I agree with you once again on The West Wing. It was a good show, and had what I thought was a perfect opportunity to continue an existing show and at the same time introduce a new one.

Oh, well.

I may have said this before, but I think Alan Alda deserved an Emmy, an Oscar, and a Tony for his performance as a Repbulican Senator/candidate. It can't have been easy for him to so convincingly represent a political ideology that every cell in his body opposes.

Curly K said...

Jaysus, JL, you get some serious referrals, don't even want to think what "washing line panties" was after ;-)

Anonymous City Girl said...

I love A Clockwork Orange.