Saturday, November 05, 2005

while we



While we fly to the sky
Do we stop to think and wonder why?
And while we fight day and night
Do we really know what’s wrong and right?
For while we argue and while we lie
A newborn baby starts to cry

Is the Band Aid dream still happening
Or was it all just an eighties thing?
For while we sing tills they ring
We have to pricetag everything!
And while we haggle and while we buy
One more decade passes by!

Food not bombs, love not money
Homes not parking lots; Do you think it’s funny
That while we argue and while we lie
A newborn baby starts to cry?

While we analyze, while we moralize,
While we theorize, do we empathize?
While we polarize, compartmentalize,
We fail to realize the need to harmonize
Cos while we eat our fries and plump for supersize
One more hunger victim dies.

Food not bombs, love not money
Homes not parking lots; Do you think it’s funny
That while we argue and while we lie
A newborn baby starts to cry?


© JL Pagano 1994


I am republishing these lyrics today for two reasons - first, it sets me up nicely for the essay on Bleeding Heart Liberals I'm posting tomorrow, plus the song was conceived as I sat in the family car on the way to my father-in-law's funeral on this weekend eleven years ago, as my wife sat beside me seven months pregnant with my daughter. I thus dedicate it to the memory of Christy O'Leary RIP.


click here for a full index of my poetry and song lyrics

No comments: