Wednesday, October 26, 2005

feel so small




When I look at pictures of my family
I cannot help but hold my head up high
But then the fact that self-doubt keeps on nagging me
Holds me back and it makes me wonder why

If it wasn’t for my loved ones I would see no hope at all
Cos I feel so small

When I read back over human history
I cannot help but be amazed
But then the fact that much is still a mystery
Holds me back and has me counting down my days

I’d gladly sell my soul if I had a place to set my stall
And I feel so small

Maybe this is the real meaning of loneliness
And the way I feel isn’t crazy after all
For it doesn’t make much sense that everyone can stand so tall
While I feel so small

When I read the U.S. Constitution
I cannot help but feel a glow inside
But then the fact that it ends at its own frontiers
Holds me back and puts shackles on my pride

The concept of united we stand and divided we fall
Makes me feel so small

Maybe this is the real meaning of loneliness
And the way I feel isn’t crazy after all
For it doesn’t make much sense that everyone can stand so tall
While I feel so small

Like a lion roaring inside a cage
I feel so small
Like a writer staring at an empty page
I feel so small
Like a reverend dreaming of a brighter day
I feel so small
Like a hunted fox as it’s running away
I feel so small
Like a blind man trying to find his way alone
I feel so small
Like the lonely sound of a single saxophone
I feel so small

But if we all feel small
Then why feel small at all?


© JL Pagano 1992, 2005

[It has been 13 years since this song first crawled into my head, hence the line about the writer. Hearing the story of the late Rosa Parks RIP again yesterday inspired me to finally knuckle down and finish it.]


click here for a full index of my poetry and song lyrics



2 comments:

Heidi said...

good job, JL. I really enjoyed this one.

shandi said...

You definately captured that feeling. Every time I stand back to get a wider view, I end up feeling so small. Looking at the details in my life (my family and loved ones) makes me feel larger and more substantial. I think it's pretty typical for those that care so much about the greater picture, that which is outside our comfort zone. Well done JL.