Tuesday, October 18, 2005

bitesize bullets



TEN TOPICS…
NO PARTICULAR ORDER…
ONE MAN’S OPINIONS…
FIFTY WORD LIMIT ON EACH…



DEPRESSING : Boy, yesterday’s post sure was hard to publish. I came that close to deleting it several times. What stopped me was my own tag-line for the essays of “warts n all”. Reading it now helps me understand the situation a lot better. Sorry to get all dark and depressing, folks.

DIET : On an upbeat note, I’ve come to a deal with my fiancée – she becomes my personal trainer and helps me shed the necessary tonnage, I teach her to drive. It’s a good plan as we are each considering doing the respective coaching for a living.

CHICKEN : First there was Y2K. Then there was anthrax. Then “mad-cow” disease. Then SARS. Now it’s the chickens. It seems these threats of “pandemics” or “bio-terror” or the like come and go with alarming frequency. Seems to me like a lot of money being spent on stuff that “might” happen.

U2 : I like their music, and I support Bono’s contribution to the MakePovertyHistory campaign, but if they don’t want politicians using their concerts for campaigning, they should stop banging on so much about politics. As Bono himself says, Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own [to the White House].

CONSTITUTION : It looks like Iraq passed its first “Constitution”, though we will have to see exactly how kindly the Sunnis take to living under the document which seems to have been virtually handwritten between the Shi’ites and the Kurds.

DISAPPOINTMENT : Ireland’s soccer team didn’t make the World Cup finals, but that’s ok, as I have good back-up; team USA sealed their berth in next summer’s tournament over a month ago so I will still have someone to root for. Expect many soccer posts next June.

VEGETARIAN : I’m still getting 20-30 hits a day on that vegetarian page, though I may have a lead as to why, more news hopefully to come. Also, for some reason, my Dashboard has decided to turn German – there must be some way I can blame the Bush Administration, right?

SADDAM : As much as I am sure the man is guilty of crimes against his own people, I find it very hard to believe that Saddam Hussein’s trial, which begins this week, can be shown to be a fair one.

TORTURE : On the subject of trials, the British House Of Lords is debating on whether or not evidence known to have been given after “torture” [which includes the psychological variety] is admissible in Her Majesty’s courts. If so, it’s the first step down a dangerous road…

SUPREME : You know things are bad in the USA these days when even the far right is questioning the President’s choice to replace Sandra Day O’Connor on the Supreme Court. Hopefully it’s not the first in a series of “lame duck” edicts from our Dubya…



3 comments:

Alan said...

Re: Football - excuse me, isn't Spurs being second in the league a bit more of a reason to enthusing about the beautiful game right now?

Re: Epidemics - it's like the Y2K thing. I get fed up of people who say the Y2K thing turned out to be nothing. It turned out to be nothing because so many people worked so hard to make sure it did.

Re: Bush - you're going to see a lot more of this to come. It's all politics. With Bush's personal approval ratings at an all time low, the Republicans know they need to distance themselves from him if they want to retain the house and the senate in next year's mid-terms.

JL Pagano said...

Hi Alan,

Thanks for stopping by

Re : Spurs - I don't write about them here, I use my sports blog for that, and what's more, though I'm delighted with their form of late, I'm afraid to jinx them.

Re : epidemics, I felt the same as you at the time of the y2k thing, that the prevention led to the cure, but it's just that the subsequent scares seem to be coming one thing after another - surely we'd be buggered if a few of them came all at once. I'm only lightly flirting with the conspiracy theory notion, mind you...

Re : bush - I agree, it appears the Republicans have taking on the mighty challenge of "dumbing down" Bush to make way for their new improved candidate, whoever that may be.

sex scenes at starbucks said...

Bush can do nothing right after Katrina. The man was absolutely thrown for a loop and he's not even bright enough to surround himself with smart people or so much as Google "hurricanes: New Orleans" so that he knows what the hell he's talking about. Be it a she or he, one of Bush's Bible thumpers from Texas is the last thing we need on the Court.