Monday, September 26, 2005

shanghai lullaby



Hush little Lai-di don’t breathe a word
I can’t guarantee your voice will be heard
The government policy is out of control
You can’t have a mind, you can’t have a soul
So close your eyes…

Maybe one day a prince will find you
Maybe he’ll break the ties that bind you
Maybe one day you’ll leave Shanghai
Maybe one day a pig will fly

Hush little Lai-di don’t breathe a word
I can’t guarantee your voice will be heard
The government policy is out of control
You can’t have a mind, you can’t have a soul
So close your eyes…

Shameful catalogue of abuses
Too many reasons, no excuses
Those not around to hear you cry
Have left you in this room to die

Hush little Lai-di don’t breathe a word
I can’t guarantee your voice will be heard
The government policy is out of control
You can’t have a mind, you can’t have a soul
So close your eyes…

Though the documentary brings me sadness
Nothing I do will end the madness
No mockingbird for me to buy
And so I sing this lullaby

Hush little Lai-di don’t breathe a word
I can’t guarantee your voice will be heard
The government policy is out of control
You can’t have a mind, you can’t have a soul
So close your eyes…

© JL Pagano 1996


click here for a full index of my poetry and song lyrics

No comments: