Thursday, September 08, 2005

lies, damn lies and statcounter


When I started this blog almost a year ago, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing or what the whole phenomenon was all about.

I started with the old reliable post “Well, here it is, my first attempt at a blog…etc”, and like a kid setting up a lemonade stand on the sidewalk expecting to be a millionaire by dinnertime, I guess I actually did think I would be receiving comments right from the off.

That was September, and I reckon it was February before I got my first remark from the Blogosphere. Once they started coming, I have to admit I was kind of hooked on the feedback for a spell, becoming what the blog vernacular seems to be a “comment whore”, judging each entry’s worth by the amount of people from whom it evokes a reaction.

Then I discovered StatCounter. At first all I thought they did was provided a counter on your blog which ticked over whenever anyone (besdies yourself of course) logged onto your page. Then I started clicking around, and I saw a whole new world of information opening before me.

At first I was a bit too trusting of the stats, and actually believed that when it said “Visit Length = 4 hours 32 minutes” that someone was extremely fascinated with what I had to say!

Though I have since learned that all is not as it seems with those numbers, there is still quite a bit to be gleaned. The one statistic that I think is most important of all is that of “Returning Visitors”.

Even more so than comments, the RV stat is IMHO the best gauge of the effectiveness of your blog, simply because not everyone is inspired to say something evertime they visit, but if they come back again and again, you must be doing something right.

I can pretty much work out who my regulars are, though I have a few intriguing mystery guests, like one whose server seems to come from the “Inktomi Corporation”? Care to make yourself known whoever you are?

Anyway, enough of my ramble for today. Thank you all for your continued reading; in most cases I know who you are.

10 comments:

Colm said...

Inktomi Corporation is a spider I'd say.

Robin.C. Piggott said...

To add to Colm Bracken's remark JL...Inktomi is without doubt an "Arachnid".
It's a very friendly genus and pops up constantly in my Web Site Stats.every day. It hasn't sent me a cheque yet for all the free Driving Advice, but I live in hope!
By the way I got my first comments at the weekend from some legal eagle site looking for accident victims no doubt! Some people will try anything for a buck (or Euro)!

Anna said...

If you build it, they will come... hrmm, can't call ya "Shoeless Joe", willya settle for "Well-shod Jeff"?

Frank said...

Agreed that Inktomi is a searcher. perhaps for Technorati whic seem to update several times daily.

Also Statcounter seems to pick up waves of visits 10 or 12 in close succession from other blogspot addresses, perhaps on some automated programme, which seem to be searching for spamming opportunities.

Anonymous City Girl said...

the best part of the counter thingie is seeing the weird searches people do and end up on my blog.

and i do have to admit to liking the comments bit too... i know its just ego stroking, but who doesn't enjoy that?

Michèle said...

Count me among the readers that doesn't comment every time I visit, but I do read all your posts and have a "subscription" to your site at Bloglines so that I know when you've put a new posting up.

BTW: I think Inktomi is Yahoo's search engine spider thingy . . .

JL Pagano said...

Thank you all for your comments - and I sincerely hope you didn't take the post iself as a hint that you should!

I was going for irony with the Inktomi thing as I figured it was some kind of automated do-hickey, but thanks to you all for pointing it out anyway!

Heidi said...

I'm also one of those regulars that enjoys reading but doesn't always comment. you're a good read, JL. :)

Mr. Middle America said...

I come by two or three times a day (direcway, direcpc, adsl.swbell...)... but do not comment much... what have I to add to such good posts?

JL Pagano said...

I seem to have made a right mess of this post.

My intention was to say I wasn't so much about the comments anymore, and that I was more about the stats and in particular returning visitors.

What I seem to have conveyed is a message of "please, please leave more comments"!!!

I appreciate all of you coming back so often - I DO notice it in my stats, and I hope you will continue to do so as I do with your own blogs.

I'll shut up now.