Sunday, August 28, 2005

stories worth a thousand words #35

A WARTS ‘N ALL AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF AN ORDINARY GUY

1000 WORDS ON…EVEN MORE BLOODY LYRICS!!!

Written: November 18, 2004 (except the lyrics of course!)

There’s nothing like relationship problems to inspire creativity. I almost thought my artistic well had run dry until I finally conceded my marriage was on the rocks in 2000.

When things finally went belly-up, I knew more songs would quickly follow. I was determined, however, to limit myself to just one tune on the subject of my bad feelings. Just one self-pity song. From this came “A Woman For Me”.

While in Ibiza on the Holiday From Hell in May 2000 (a whole chapter on that to come), I decided to fill a bottle of water, strap on my walkman and walk for an entire morning for as long as the road would take me. Along my journey I actually did see a sign which told me I was walking in the direction of a town called “Jesus”. The irony was striking, and I joked to myself that I would walk until I found Jesus. I actually only made it halfway to the town before turning back, more irony I guess. When I returned to Dublin I told the story to my netfriend “Noreen”, who is a bit of a lyricist herself. She was overcome by inspiration, and less than 24 hours later emailed me a poem which I modified to become the song “A Town Called Jesus”.

All I will say about “Bluebird” is that it’s a true story.

© JL Pagano 2004

"A Woman For Me" is posted below, as you can see. I'll post the other two over the next couple of days. For those wondering where the 1000 words are, I'm including the words from the lyrics - if you make the rules you can also bend them...

NEXT, #36 : 1000 WORDS ON…THE DEMON DRINK

No comments: