Tuesday, August 30, 2005

bluebird



“Let’s go to the Bluebird
And the night will be sheer bliss!”
Never more a true word
Was spoken before this!

A boring office function
Ended in my compunction
And now I feel it is a tale I can share
Just as the night was fading
You came along parading
All you were packin clean out of nowhere

As we shared a sense of humour
Not scared of starting rumours
We quietly mocked the others one by one
Who were we really hurting
With all our subtle flirting
That’s when you said that we should prolong the fun

It had always seemed to me
That you and me
Were just never meant to be
But then you said…

“Let’s go to the Bluebird
And the night will be sheer bliss!”
Never more a true word
Was spoken before this!

The wits at my disposal
Considered your proposal
My heart was pumping more than you’ll ever know
Your words they served to flatter
Cos it didn’t seem to matter
That I had more baggage than London Heathrow

And so we left our colleagues
With all their boring follies
I liked the sound of where I was being led
In search of stimulation
More drink and motivation
We hailed a cab to paint the Fair City red

How could I fail to see
That you and me
Were just never meant to be
But still you said…

“Let’s go to the Bluebird
And the night will be sheer bliss!”
Never more a true word
Was spoken before this!

And so I took my chances
With my mistimed advances
You asked me why I had to spoil everything
I know we both had partners
I know I took it farther
Than I shoulda - was it such a bad thing?

There’s no use in pretending
That there’s a happy ending
Cos I assure you the boy did not get the girl
It fact on the contrary
He felt it necessary
To think he was the biggest fool in the world

You shoulda said to me
That you and me
Were just never meant to be
Before you said…

“Let’s go to the Bluebird
And the night will be sheer bliss!”

© JL Pagano 2001, 2005


These lyrics make up part of chapter 35 of my autobigraphy “Stories Worth A Thousand Words” called “1000 Words On…Even More Bloody Lyrics!!!”. The photo does not represent the place in question - that will only ever be known by myself and the person about whom the song was written. Nothing like a bit of intrigue to keep things interesting...


click here for a full index of my poetry and song lyrics

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just passing through and saw your site. Great Blog! I'll check in occasionally.

I have a Data Recovery Atlanta site/blog.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

shandi said...

Nothing like an anonymous spammer to bring new insight and appreciation to your beautiful lyrics.
This is a great song JL. Well done, again.