Wednesday, July 20, 2005

a warning to naked backyard sunbathers

Here’s a pretty long sentence to act as an opening paragraph to pique your curiosity even more after that rather evocative headline.

Isn’t it great how the word “naked”, together with the knowledge that a post has some pictures, can get someone’s attention even though the post really hasn’t got anything to do with nudity?

No, really, though, I’m glad I caught your eye, because courtesy of Red Mum’s cool blog I’ve found something that’s bound to have you glued to your computer screen for hours!

If you have tried Google Maps and think this is the same, well it ain’t – Google Earth makes it look like a pocket-sized travel atlas in comparison.

The cool thing for me isn’t just the level of detail with each destination, but the way you travel from one place to another. You really have to download it (it’s totally free) to experience it properly, but here’s an idea…

First you start with a view of Mother Earth…



Then, with the press of a few keys, you can be whisked away to such locations as…

Ze Awful Tower…


Strewth! Ayers Rock in Oz! Or as the natives call it, Uluru…



The Golden Gate Bridge…the resolution here is so clear that you feel you can reach out and grab the top rung…



Or you can drop in on Buckingham Palace and see what ol' QE2 is up to…



Anyway, I strongly recommend you give it a try. If you are in the USA, in most regions you can key in your actual address and watch it zoom in to the roof of your house. Watch out it doesn’t get stuck in your chimney.

And if you set aside just ten minutes or so to check it out, don’t blame me OR Red Mum if you end up wasting the whole day away…

If you want to “drop” by here any time, feel free – just hone in on 53°18’09.39”N, 6°11’59.01”W and say hello. I’ll be sure to have shaved before you get here.


5 comments:

Buffalo said...

That is kind of scary, Jeff. I don't know that I like the idea of someone zooming in on my house.

JL Pagano said...

Maybe I should clarify - you dont't get much closer than the Buckingham Palace pic, Buffalo - so you can't make anything out but the fact that it is a roof and maybe, just maybe, the colour of a car in the driveway.

Having said that, if this is what a free service can do, imagine how close the military satellites can get...

shandi said...

I've tried time and again to download this program... unsuccessfully. Sounds like fun. I would probably waste the day away as well, inputting every address I have lived or places I've been.
In fact, I should input the exact location of one 50 foot waterfall. Zoom in and snap a photo... save myself the 10 mile hike.

Red Mum said...

Shandi, I tried for weeks before I was able, I don't know if its because they only allow so many downloads a day!!! (just a thought) And then I got it... Keep trying..


And jl, didn't I say it was addictive? I still lovE going on and have a look about. I love trying to find really unusual things, ha who doesnt, but it is great fun.

Michèle said...

This is a lot of fun!