Saturday, July 16, 2005

thought for the weekend



“Love thy neighbour as thyself.”

I wonder if whoever came up with that well worn phrase ever heard of alcoholism, drug addiction, obsession with plastic surgery, anorexia, depression and all the other numerous forms of torture we do to ourselves, all most likely resulting from various levels of self loathing.

How many times have you seen an attractive person of either gender and thought something like : “Ha – I bet they absolutely love themselves!!!”

Not that it would necessarily be true in their case, but if it were, maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad thing after all.

5 comments:

Anna said...

I can't agree more... my parents were skimpy on the praise because they were afraid I'd grow up conceited. It worked.

shandi said...

self loathing... yeah, i've seen plenty of this with most of my friends. They tend to focus on their negative attributes, with the belief that liposuction and plastic surgery will solve all their problems. I found the cure for all this self loathing. I found a quality in myself that even age can't take away. Something which will continue to provide me with self-esteem well into my declining years.

James Howard Shott said...

As for the phrase, it's Biblical, a version of the Golden Rule:

Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke [reason with] thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.
Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the Lord.
-- Leviticus 19: 17-18 (KJV)


Good advice, both for your neighbor and for yourself.

Buffalo said...

Too often it isn't even close to the truth.......my ex sees a very obese woman in the mirror. She has never been overweight in her life.

James Howard Shott said...

Off the subject, I just accidently learned that you can collapse individual comments by left-clicking in the comment. I hope I'm not the only one to not know this!