Saturday, July 09, 2005

stories worth a thousand words #25

A WARTS ‘N ALL AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF AN ORDINARY GUY

NB : I have split up this chapter so that the two song lyrics can each have their own post.

1000 WORDS ON…MORE OF MY LYRICS

Text written : NOVEMBER 18, 2004

I really thought I had it all worked out when I was writing these songs. My philosophical musings led me to believe that it was enough to assume that we didn’t know what was going on, and that there was no need to define a purpose for being alive; all we had to do was get on with it. Nobody really knows what happens when they die; most of them just prefer to accept what they have been told and live their lives accordingly. Indeed, I sure was one smug son-of-a-bitch in the 90’s!!!

Although “Buckpassing” was written to my offspring, it was conceived before they were. I remember distinctly I was standing on the platform at Alewife station in Boston when I got the tune in my head – I even grabbed my wife and hummed it into her ear hoping she’d help me remember it later. The lyrics came surprisingly easily, built around the scaffolding of the central theme.

Heavy Stuff” is really an ode to my adolescence, the period in which innocence is lost and understanding begins. The first draft looked much more like a suicide note and thus the reference to its futility had to be factored in. Again I was surprised with how easily the words flowed as I came up with them in my head; here we probably have the only two of my lyrics I would say I’m totally satisfied with.


© JL Pagano 2004

1 comment:

Jim said...

NB? Nota Bene? I haven't encountered anyone using that since Sr. Aloysious in Art class my freshman year at high school. Did you take Latin? I was a non-conformist so I wouldn't take it like all the other uber students.