Friday, July 22, 2005

slip of the text



Then there was the time I was waiting for MyX to pick up the kids one morning about two years ago. She was meant to be here at 9am.

As it approached a quarter-past, I received a text message from her saying she was delayed. Since I had arrangements to meet my girlfriend downtown that morning, I had to send her a text in turn to inform her of what was going on.

My message to Sandra went something like this:

Her Ladyship has been held up I will let you know when she has gone.

It’s always nice to invent a couple of nicknames for your ex when you split up. I say a couple because it’s handy to have one relatively polite, and one relatively not-so-polite. I will pay her the courtesy of not publishing the latter version, at least now that I’m both sober and in a relatively good mood!

So for the civil pseudonym, I decided to parody her various airs and graces and choose the moniker “Her Ladyship”. It worked very well, especially between Sandra and me; it also helped with the whole “proving-I’m-over-her” process.

Imagine my surprise when a few minutes later I received a reply to my message which came from MyX herself and read something like this:

Her Ladyship is stuck in traffic and will be there in five minutes!!!

Seemingly I instinctively hit reply to her original report of imminent tardiness. D’oh!

This gave me five minutes to come up with an explanation.

Once the kids had gotten into her car, all I said was,

Sorry, but you have to admit, your nickname could’ve been a whole lot worse!

Believe me, it could have.


Click here for a full list of the "Lifeslice" stories

6 comments:

sex scenes at starbucks said...

I didn't even read this. Sorry. Drunk. But I met a cute Irish girl tonight (or is it Gil?) and thought of you.

Cheers.

sex scenes at starbucks said...

ok. I read. you're a good man, charlie brown.

Anna said...

I suffer with premature textulation myself. I do it so often, I've created a template that says, "sorry, that was meant for someone else!"

Michèle said...

Oooh . . . I cringed for you . . . I hate when stuff like that happens!

shandi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BlondeSense Liz said...

Ah but I read somewhere that people use delightful nicknames for those they despise.

Nevertheless, that was a good story.