Monday, July 18, 2005

and a-rove-ing I went


I knew little or nothing about Karl Rove before last week, so I decided to rectify the situation.

My sources comprised Wikipedia.com, plus a piece by fellow blogger James Shott which more or less comes to his defence on the Valerie Plame situation.

Three things regarding the whole state of affairs piqued my interest.

1. This story from Rove’s youth :

In 1970, at the age of nineteen and while a protege of Donald Segretti (later convicted as a Watergate conspirator), Rove snuck into the campaign office of Illinois Democrat Alan Dixon and stole some letterhead, which he used to print fake campaign rally fliers promising "free beer, free food, girls and a good time for nothing," and distributed them at rock concerts and homeless shelters. Admitting to the incident much later, Rove said, "I was nineteen and I got involved in a political prank."

Start as you mean to go on, eh?

2. His forte seems to be “attacking people on their strengths”. Since mud-slinging seems to be his, maybe a taste of his own medicine would do the chap no harm at all.

3. If there are indeed no flames to go with this smoke, it would be nice for his boss to come out and actually say so publicly, yet he seems to refuse to be drawn, deciding instead to be seen walking down the White House lawn beside Mr Rove every other day, which is hardly the same thing.

One thing on which I do agree with Mr Shott; the man is entitled to a public hearing to settle this whole thing once and for all. So bring it on.

1 comment:

James Howard Shott said...

It is good to have areas of agreement, however few or small they may be.

I don't know much about Rove's history, or his tactics. However, Dick Morris, former Clinton campaign guru and a very politically savay fellow, talks about Rove not as a dirty trickster, but as a skilled political operative.

I don't believe that Rove has done anything illegal, or unethical, based upon what I have learned about this particular situation. Of course, there may be some things that I don't know about it.

Assuming for the sake of discussion that I am correct, the Democrats are wasting a lot of energy and political capital on Rove, and are busily shifting the focus from George Bush to Karl Rove. No wonder the White House is keeping quiet.