Tuesday, June 28, 2005

when you’re seventeen

When you’re seventeen
You think you know everything
At least I did

When you’re sixteen you think you’ve got nothing to fear
Then when you’re eighteen it all becomes perfectly clear
But when you’re caught in between
It’s just a whole different scene
When you’re seventeen

You think girls are for kissing boys should be cool
You think you wouldn’t last another boring year at school
You think beer is for drinking until you get sick
And if you don’t know the top ten you’re totally thick
You think the only way to fun
Is looking after number one
When you’re seventeen

When you’re seventeen
You think you know everything
At least I did

You feel sorry for the grownups cos they look so sad
You just laugh at all the kids cos they don’t understand
You think these are the best days that you’ll ever have
At least I did

You see work as a concept really absurd
You think love has gotta be strictly for the birds
You think “responsibility” is a four-letter word
At least I did

When you’re seventeen
You think you know everything
At least I did
And some say that I still do…

© JL Pagano 1991


click here for a full index of my poetry and song lyrics

2 comments:

Buffalo said...

Well done. More true than not. Times change, people don't.

shandi said...

I don't know about you, but I was perfect when I was 17 :)
Another great poem... or lyrics (depending on whether or not I hear music in my head while reading it).