Monday, June 20, 2005

so incredibly naïve



Then…
There was a time I thought
That what you wanted was what you got
And to need somebody just did not happen
Cos someone was always there

Then…
There was a time it seemed
That peace on earth wasn’t just a dream
And wars were only fought in the past
Cos these days, everybody cares

Now…
It’s hard for me to believe
How could I be so incredibly naïve?

Then…
I was convinced for sure
That nothing man-made could ever hurt you
Cos things were only ever used
For the purposes they were made for

I hope you’re sitting down right now cos
Then…I thought honesty was a virtue
And people actually gave a damn
About the jobs they got paid for

Now…
It’s hard for me to believe
How could I be so incredibly naïve?

Then…
They kept me after school
And they made me write it
A hundred times
A thousand times
A billion times
Over and over and over and over

We can’t “all just get along”

Now…
It’s hard for me to believe
How could I be so incredibly naïve?


© JL Pagano 1992


click here for a full index of my poetry and song lyrics

2 comments:

shandi said...

Again... you are a damn good poet JL. I always wanted to write poetry... but mine always came out sounding like Dr. Suess.
Seriously though.... very good writing once again.

Mr. Middle America said...

"How could I be so incredibly naïve?"


Yeah... Been asking myself that...