Friday, June 03, 2005

"the real world"



Take seven talented twenty-somethings
And make sure they don’t want for nothing
Buy them a beautiful house in the sun
With no shortage of food, no shortage of fun
Attract advertizers galore and call it “The Real World”

Make sure they’re all photogenic
With boys like Adonis and girls Hellenic
Just try not to notice the camera’s glare
Try to be normal, try not to stare
What else could be closer to “The Real World”?

Take a look at me, Mom
I’m here on MTV, Mom
I’m so much larger than life
Here in “The Real World”

Dealing with our situations
And ironing out our complications
You’ve got nothing to fear if you don’t have a friend
Cos I know we can sort it all out in the end
It’s the perfect simulation of “The Real World”

Take a look at me, Mom
I’m here on MTV, Mom
I’m so much larger than life
Here in “The Real World”

And just in case you didn’t know
Every minute of this great show
Has been brought to you by Pepsi
Here in “The Real World”

© JL Pagano 1993


click here for a full index of my poetry and song lyrics

7 comments:

Buffalo said...

Well done. Good comment. And, I must confess, I sometimes wish I lived in that real world.

sex scenes at starbucks said...

nice.

kieran said...

I thought of trying out, just to see if I'd be quarky enough to get on...then I looked in the mirror and realized I was a scrawny, 135 lb., goofy-looking mug.

No shot.

fairygirl701 said...

so very true...

I wish I was on it though; however, I am past the age cutoff now.

Mad Cow said...

I used to watch that show, but it seems like too many of the kids on Real World have seen way too many episodes of Real World before they go on. Besides, I don't like watching TV that much, and David Brent is WAY better use of my time. And let's not forget Jon Stewart, the only man I would cheat on my husband for. What can I say? I'm a big dreamer.

shandi said...

You're a damn good poet!!!
And...I know what I'm talking about...cause I suck at it!

JL Pagano said...

Thank you all for your comments.

I used to watch this show all the time myself, especially when they were based in San Francisco - I was inspired to write this song when I considered the irony behind the phrase they used when going to commercials: "The Real World has been brought to you by Pepsi"...