Thursday, June 30, 2005

it can be done



“Before you finish eating your breakfast this morning, you’ve depended on half the world. This is the way our universe is structured … We aren’t going to have peace on earth until we recognize this basic fact”

Martin Luther King


The MakePovertyHistory campaign has three principal aims, all of them equally important…

Drop The Debtfor all countries, though particularly the G8, to stop acting like crippling loan sharks and write off Third World debt.

Increase Government AidIn 2000, the members of the United Nations made a series of commitments, one of which was to increase foreign aid to 0.7% of GNP, roughly speaking 70c out of every $100 earned by the average citizen, by the year 2015. Even though the G8 and other industrial nations get richer as the African countries get poorer, that commitment will not be met or even come close the way things are going.

Fair Trade not Free TradeThe term “Free Trade” sounds perfectly legitimate if you are a Western Economist, but not so much if you are an African cotton farmer who receives no subsidies and cannot get a decent price for your product even from within your own country’s borders when the bulk of the business goes to heavily-subsidized and already-wealthy farmers from the G8.

Not only should this all be done, but it can be. Very easily. Only political will is stopping it.
Of course there are those out there who think it's all pointless, and some even who think it's an excuse to display your talents as a comedian - I think Mr Twenty Major does well to represent this opinion on his blog this morning. I think I did well to represent my own with my comments.

For more information on how you can get involved, click the white band banner at the top right. Even something as simple as sending an email constitutes “getting involved”.

Remember; this time, it is not about putting your money where your mouth is, it is about putting your VOICE where your mouth is.

12 comments:

-ms jumbled mind- said...

just dropping by to say hi! :)

Mr. Middle America said...

There is no reason why there should be hunger on this planet. The thought of it makes me sick.

Ten Major said...

If the wealth of the entire planet were to be divided up equally amongst all the people, the subsequent drop in the standard of living for every American would be so profound as to cause each and every one of them to slit your throat.
Sorry, but I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

JL Pagano said...

No need to apologize, Ten Major, because as it says at the top of this blog, all comments are welcome.

Having said that, exactly where in my post does it say anything about dividing the wealth of the entire planet equally amongst all the people?

Ten Major said...

Mr. Pagano,
I was suggesting a way to end world poverty.
"From each, according to their ability;
To each, according to their need"
The only way, as I sees it.

JL Pagano said...

Fair enough.

On a lighter note, how did you get from Twenty Major down to Ten? Was it the last budget?

6 2/3 Major said...

It is because I am half the man Twenty is!
A third the woman, as well!

Dali Lama said...

I was looking at http://www.politicalcompass.org/ last night to find out just where exactly do my political tendencies lie. Turns out I AM the Dali Lama!
Now if I can find Twenty Majors piece on Poverty funny, maybe you could have a second try. Now I know that Blackrock Dublin is known worldwide to be a hotbed of Middle Class free thinking and God Knows(I Know) I don't want to rock the boat on that one but, if the Dali himself can giggle, give it a try yourself.

shandi said...

I read the entire piece on Twenty Major's site. I've tried several times to say something about the whole thing. I'm at a loss...
I understand that there are differences of opinion with regards to humor, politics and the like. But... this whole thing just turned into a ... well a piss'n contest I guess.
Reason #1 I avoid conversations such as these.... I can't piss very far.

(however, I do take the subject of poverty very seriously and am not making light of the issue.)

JL Pagano said...

I know I shouldnt have let this one get to me, but I couldnt stop thinking the "just kill all the poor" was a very cheap shot at humour.

I am more than able to make fun of myself on most issues, anyone that knows me will tell you that, but just not this one.

I think Twenty Major and his buddies should start their own site, makepubertyhistory.org ...

I wonder will THEY giggle at that...

shandi said...

That's a great comeback!!!
I thought you defended your position very well.
They took a lot of cheap shots if you ask me.

Mike Todd said...

Damn, JL! You got into it with some mean bastards over there.

Way to stand up for what you believe in, man.