Saturday, May 28, 2005

jim's film meme

Try saying THAT heading ten times fast!!!!


Here’s my answers to Jim’s meme as requested…I will do my Episode III review shortly…

1. What was the last movie you went to see? Revenge of the Sith last night.

2. What is your all-time favorite movie and why? Did you see it at the theater, or was it a video/DVD? I am going to ignore Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and The Matrix and such as much as I enjoyed them because they were all expected to be successes. Instead I am going to nominate LA Confidential, which I saw on video, and for which I had no excpectations whatsoever, and was gripped right to the very end.

3. What movie stands out in your mind as the one which made you cry the most? Funnily enough, Cry Freedom. I’m kind of a human rights buff largely due to seeing it. Reading about apartheid was one thing, but seeing it acted out brought it to a whole new level. Most tearful moments were the scenes at Biko’s funeral, with tens of thousands of people of all races singing what went on to be the South African national anthem, and the part where the man leaned out of a car and shot a young fleeing boy during the Soweto massacre.

4. What is the funniest movie you've seen? What was your favorite part or line from that movie? Hands down, Monty Python’s “The Life Of Brian”. This movie was banned in Ireland for ten years because the church thought it parodied the life of Jesus, when in the story, Jesus is actually portrayed as himself reciting his “Blessed are the…” speech verbatim, with all the silliness taking place with different characters who were supposedly attending the event. My grandparents did not want anything to do with the movie, so I promised them I would never rent it. I kept my word and bought it instead! Funniest bit? Yeesh…when Brian opens his window stark naked and finds a huge crowd waiting outside who think he’s the Messiah – then after he covers himself, his mother arrives and proclaims to the throng : ”There’s no Messiah in here!!!! There’s a mess alright, but there’s no Messiah!!!”

5. Is there a movie which changed your opinion on something? What movie was it? Sorry to cop out on this one, but it really was Cry Freedom, as outlined in #3.

6. What is the worst movie you've ever paid to see at the theater? There have been so many two hours I want back … most recent was “White Noise” with Michael Keaton.

7. Popcorn? Jujifruits? Licorice? Junior Mints? Nachos? or Raisinettes? Popcorn. Doesn’t rot your teeth, and you can spill as much as you want and not give everyone that sees you afterwards a telltale clue what you’ve been eating.

8. Have you ever been intimate with someone while watching a movie at the theater? What movie was it the last time? (Please don't say Schindler's List!) Are you still with this person? Yes, but never more than mooching. The last time was at the awful Michael keaton movie I named earlier. Yes, I am engaged to her.

9. Have you ever screamed while watching a movie or shouted at the screen? What did you say? “Mom! Stop laughing so goddam loud! Everyone’s looking!”

10. Name your favorite movie soundtrack. Can you remember the part of the movie where your favorite song is played? Overall soundtracks, anything Tarantino, escpecially Kill Bill, mostly because Uma rocks in it. As for soundtrack to one part of a movie, it has to be “The Duel Of The Fates” in Star Wars Ep I, with the excellent fight scene with Darth Maul, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.
+++++++++++++++++++++++

FYI I have my own movie related meme on the boil which I will be starting soon. I’ll let Jim’s see its course first though.

3 comments:

Buffalo said...

If you liked the movie, L.A. Confidential you will love the book.

Hated Monty Python.

If mooching means the same as smooching, (kissing), that doesn't count as being intimate.

JL Pagano said...

Well I hardly meant a peck on the cheek, man; I mean, there's kissing and there's well, KISSING...

shandi said...

Are ya sure ya weren't just mooching some of her popcorn?
BTW: I agree with you with regards to White Noise. Complete waste of $8.