Monday, May 16, 2005

hit album. three more. another? yes!


In this day and age where record companies’ PR machines have no shame in hailing their teenage fledgelings as “international superstars” after just one song let alone one album, I remain determined to stick to the line in the sand I drew over a decade ago when it came to declaring what I thought to be a good act.

I contend a band cannot be considered to be great unless their fifth album is at LEAST as good as their first.

Thankfully Stereophonics’ offering number five “Language. Sex. Violence. Other?” fits the bill nicely. Now I can write about them.

The Rolling Stone gave this album just 2 out of 5. What the hell do they know. That’s only because since they’re “British” (albeit Welsh rather than English) they chose to compare them to Oasis and Blur. Brit Rock my ass. I hate to break it to you, Rolling Stone people, but the USA does not hold the international rights to play rock n roll.

Having said that, I very much doubt Kelly Jones and the boys care what America thinks of them. All they want is to do the whole sex, drugs & rock n roll thing. No profound concepts, no hidden messages, no mysterious album covers, just catchy riffs and jumpy tunes in plentiful supply. I reckon they are exactly where Oasis and Blur would want to be right now, as each of them succumbed to the “Let’s-Push-The-Fact-That-We’re-British-Maybe-The-Yanks-Will-Hail-Us-As-The-Next-Beatles” temptation, and are now trying to regress to their roots.

I included the link to the Rolling Stone review purely because it allows you to sample some of their music. “Dakota” is the current hit single, and their first UK number one.

Put in the simplest terms, a Stereophonics CD is all you need to play in your car on a sunny day. I know this because I did it only yesterday. That's good for at least four outta five if you ask me.
PS : I just checked out their official site and it's way cool. It's a bit psychadelic when the first page loads, but move your cursor around the screen and find the "Media" section and your will be able to listen all their hits without actually being able to download them. Try "Dakota" for starters. After that, maybe "Just Looking" and "Have A Nice Day". Then you're on your own.

8 comments:

Heidi said...

I'll definitely be checking out this cd! Thanks for the great review. Do you mind if I link to you on my blog? I plan on visiting often... :) Your posts are fun to read.

Benny K said...

"If you could only listen to North American bands or bands from the United Kingdom, which would you choose?"

This used to be a question I enjoyed tossing around with my friends. While quite a few of my very, very, very favorite bands are American, I don't know that I could give up all the music that's come from the UK, especially when it comes to the 1960's and the 1980's. At least I could keep Fleetwood Mac either way since they're half-and-half.

JL Pagano said...

Thanks Heidi, feel free to link and/or drop by whenever you want!

Benny K, sounds like you may have a meme on the boil there if yer not careful...

Megarita said...

AAAAWWWWWWWWWW YEAH. I love these guys and I really like the new album. Seeing them live this week, actually. Rolling Stone lost me a few years back. I like the new disc even though I find it WAY different than JEEP or the other previous albums. It's much...poppier maybe? I mean that in a rockier more upbeat kind of way...

sex scenes at starbucks said...

coolness. i'll look it up.

Mr. Middle America said...

Defintely DRIVING music!!!

I like Dakota!

Jim said...

I'm listening to Dakota as I type this courtesy of your link to their site. (RS sux! RealAudio wouldn't work...) Here's a psychedelic trick, while listening to Dakota the newest I-pod commercial comes on (NOT the rollerskatin' Gorillaz.) It matched the tempo pretty danged good.

RS sux also because it's like the Newsweek of the music industry (and boy! that's a loaded comment nowadays.)

Just Looking started slow, but I'm liking the hook at the first chorus. I've really got to say THANK YOU for the link; now I'm listening to Half the Lies You Tell Aint True, AND I LIKE IT!

? said...

Yay! I was just writing about how I get to see Stereophonics live on Friday night. I'm so excited.

And you're so right about the Rolling Stone review. Sometimes I think that RS is totally irrelevant anymore, just praising the bands whose releases are super-hyped and invested in (the new weezer, anyone?).