Wednesday, April 13, 2005

what's next - oscar the cheerful?

From Ananova:

No more treats for Cookie Monster


Sesame Street favourite Cookie Monster is going on a diet.

He is aiming to get healthy during the show's new series reports the New Zealand Herald.

Other characters will also get involved in the health drive. Elmo will be shown exercising.

As part of the project, Cookie Monster, who used to sing that "C is for cookie", will be telling viewers that biscuits are occasional treats. He now sings: "A cookie is a sometimes food."

The producers of Sesame Street will now start with a health tip about nutrition, exercise, hygiene and rest.

Producers deny that Cookie Monster has been placed on a diet. "We would never use the word diet with pre-schoolers," said a spokeswoman.
****************************
Say it isn't so!!!! Is NOTHING sacred????
For the record, Cookie Monster never actually ate the cookies as far as I can recall. They always crumbled on the edge of his mouth and went all over the floor. That's the best diet advice a muppet can give if you ask me!!!!
Looks like Mr. Hooper's gonna have to re-think his inventory....

14 comments:

Benny K said...

I can just imagine some obese person suing the Children's Television Workshop for his health problems now. They shouldn't have admitted it was a negative image! (Which, I agree with you, is a ludricrous notion anyway.) Still, I bet McDonald's would be more than happy to have someone else being blamed for (America's) chubby children.

Anna said...

The MUPPETS!

Chrystal Cain said...

I don't really understand what is going on with the kids shows these days. ..I can't remember what series took this step -- but one children's series moved to introduce the idea of a kid having 2 "mommies". Why must these "adult" ideas be introduced to our children so young? We take away our own childrens' innocence. It's beginning to make me ill.

Michèle said...

There's so much I want to say about this, but I have no words . . . Ugggghhh comes to mind, though.

Mike Todd said...

Me want broccoli.

Anna said...

Hey...I just linked your blog to mine, hope that's ok!

JL Pagano said...

Be my guest ... I'm glad I finally found the time to work out how to put links on my blog myself!!!!

Benny K said...

Oops! I recently added you to my page as well, JL, but I wasn't so polite as to ask your permission. Hope this doesn't garner one of your "don't mess with me" looks (should it even be possible via the Internet...).

JL Pagano said...

LOL .... I'm not sure exactly where this blog etiquette started, but I suppose it never hurts to be polite!

I hereby granteth thee permission, Mr Benny K.

Chrystal Cain said...

I wasn't saying that tolerance and diversity is bad. I'm not saying homosexual marriage is bad. In no way in my comment to you or in my own personal post did I make a stance on what is good and what is bad in that sense. What I dislike is the idea it is going in our children's shows. They are arguably enough "adult" concepts. That was my point. Sorry for any misinterpretation.

BlondeSense Liz said...

"A sometimes food"? What the hell kind of kids show entertainment is that? What is happening to this world? Was the cookie the cause of nuclear proliferation? I ask you. Parents are supposed to teach their children what is good for them. If the parents don't know, then perhaps we need an adult version of Sesame Street for proper parenting. Oh wait, we have that in the US Congress. My bad.

Will the puppets be advocating abstinence only pleasures next? Does abstinence eliminate war?

Great blog, by the way. Glad to have found you.
Cute too! ;)

fairygirl701 said...

Damn, what is the fun of being a kid if you can't eat cookies and not feel guilty!!! ARGH!!!!

Cookie Monster said...

Cookie Monster's shame is everywhere!

Cookie Monster still love cookies, but network goons burn cookies in giant bonfire. Cookie Monster cries when thinks about it.

oZ said...

Excellent point about the cookies crumbling. If kids ate cookies that way, then they wouldn't have to worry about gaining weight. They might have concerns about being beaten by their parents for continually spilling crumbs on the carpet, but that's not Sesame Street's problem.