Thursday, April 07, 2005

bill, me, later?

Although I love to write, I’m afraid to say it takes one hell of a book to capture my attention beyond its first two or three chapters. I have just started reading such a publication, and I dare say I may actually make it through to its end, even though it’s a huge thing with hundreds of pages and very small print.

It’s the story of a man who never knew his birth father growing up, and whose mother was forced to work in the big city, leaving him for a spell as an only child in the day to day care of his maternal grandparents.

Why do I identify with this? Because it is my story to a t. Who is this book about? Bill Clinton.

I could have easily written this excerpt myself:

“For all their own demons, my grandparents and my mother always made me feel I was the most important person in the world to them. Most children will make it if they have just one person who makes them feel that way. I had three.”

Obviously the parallels between our respective versions of “My Life” end rather abruptly there, but this is the first time I have ever realized that my particular growing-up situation was not as unusual and future-impending as I had led myself to believe it was.

This book could very well serve as an inspiration.

Look out for my name at the Democratic Convention in 2028.

I may very well be one of the guys holding up the “Chelsea For President” placards in the front row ;-)

PS : Anyone wishing to post comments on my possible future interest in cigars can forward them to wayaheadofyou@biteme.com.

6 comments:

Buffalo said...

It is rather humbling to learn we aren't actually as unique as we would like to think.

shandi said...

"Childhood is something we spent the rest of our lives trying to overcome."
One of my favorite quotes.

It's pretty sad to think of the hoards of children raised in similiar circumstances.
It seems like each and every one of us has skeletons in the closet or incredible odds that we managed to overcome. Nice post.

alley rat said...

childhood is a meadow ~ lyrics
childhood is hell
childhood is sacrificed daily
childhood is it anyway?
childhood is a disease?
childhood is not a disease 17apr99
childhood is a confusing time
childhood is that wonderful time
childhood is frequently a solemn
childhood is the foundation on which children build the
childhood is a precious gift''
childhood is a sacred time
childhood is not devil worship
childhood is political
childhood is seeing my grandmother
childhood is worse???
childhood is a time of innocence
childhood is hell by matt groening
childhood is a journey
childhood is unknown
childhood is learning language
childhood is the result of shox
childhood is all the ask
childhood is evolving towards something new
childhood is here
childhood is the kingdom
childhood is a meadow
childhood is hell is jam
childhood is a social artifact
childhood is it anyway? august 6 2002
childhood is a syndrome which has only recently begun to receive serious
childhood is over
childhood is not a disease by gabriel millar
childhood is a confusing time yeah
childhood is a special time of life
childhood is that wonderful time of life when all you need to do to lose weight is take a bath
childhood is frequently a solemn business for those inside it
childhood is a runaway train
childhood is an important

alley rat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
alley rat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mike Todd said...

So I'm guessing that we're not allowed to ask about your interns, either. No? Okay, just checking.