Tuesday, March 29, 2005

leave them be

I have been loathe to comment on the Terry Schiavo case up to now, but after hearing reports of events yesterday, I feel I have no choice.

There is no victory here. True, I am a liberal but I challenge anyone to look me in the eye and tell me they think I will be happy when she dies. Just like Roe vs Wade, just like Bush vs Kerry, just like all the other black or white issues, Schiavo vs Schindler had to go one way or the other.
The decision has been made. I’m sure there will plenty of time in the future to go after the evil murdering judges that made these difficult decisions, for as we all know, judges are there to go along with what we want, not how they interpret the law.

The report I heard said that the Schindlers were resigned to their daughter’s fate. If this is true, then for the love of all that’s holy would the crowds outside the hospice ever just go home and let the family spend their last few hours with their daughter in peace. I heard some were even giving Terry’s own brother a hard time. This is an absolute disgrace. These are real people we are talking about, not actors on a stage who are there for people’s entertainment.

Of course the media are not helping. Now it seems there is a disagreement over funeral arrangements which of course will be guaranteed to fill column inches even beyond the poor woman’s death.

We need to let this one go and leave them be.

3 comments:

fairygirl701 said...

I too think everyone should just "butt out". No one can say what they would do in this situation. And having their freaking 10 yr old try to give her water?? Why would you have your kid anywhere near this?? Ridiculous. Honestly, I think that euthinasia would have been a wonderful alternative. Just give her something and she would drift off peacefully. Actually, we had almost this same thing happen here, where they just took out the feeding tube. No big news story though. I did think it was distirbing and if it had of been my child I think I would have slipped them too many pain killers one night.

Mr. Middle America said...

Where am I?

JL Pagano said...

I'd say you're about as far away from my family as your comment is from the post it's meant for LOL!!!